Thursday, December 14, 2017

Abs are Made in the Kitchen or "Nobody Wants to See Your Cellulite in a Singlet"

I haven't written for a while. Lots of stuff has happened since September. Mostly the things happened in October.

I did a CF competition. 

Team Active Bitch Face. We placed third in the old lady division.

I did a Strongman.

I'm so fucking pretty I can hardly stand it.
I placed mega-last so it's a good thing, too.

I ran the Marine Corps Marathon.

It was miserable. Hardest thing I've ever done.
Eyelashes on point, though.


And after all that...I did something stupid.  I registered for a Powerlifting meet. A Powerlifting meet. Do you know what that means? I have to put on a motherfucking singlet in front of live action people.

One of these.  In public.


Related image
I ordered an XL, because I'm a big potato
and in Virus land every woman 69kg and over is XL
Except when they're a Small.
Fucking Virus.


Only I don't even get to wear that unattractive thing, as it's not IPF approved. For the record, the Virus XL didn't fit. It was advertised as compressive and it wasn't. I sent it back. SO MUCH FOR YOUR SIZE CHART, VIRUS. KISS MY 76.5KG ASS. 

Instead I get to wear an even MORE unattractive thing. This thing. But in black. Size Large because "Unisex". 





Ha. Unisex. Even this phantom model has a bulge.
I don't have a bulge. I'm a manly looking woman,
but even I'm not quite THAT manly.

Unisex clothes can go fuck themselves. Ha. See what I did there. Actually, I suppose that would be hermaphroditic clothes. Wait, no...parthenogenetic clothes? I'm starting to forget my nomenclature. It's hell to get old.  It's also hell to be a big woman. Am I a small man? A medium man? A large man? Depends what brand we're talking about. Trying to get something that fits my body AND my condor arms? HA. HAHAHAHAHAHA. A unisex article of clothing that fits my wide ass hips and also my narrower ribcage? HA. I say HA. I am not at all peevish about this. 

I've been known to wear some objectionable shit in my basement gym, but there are no real live people there. My squat rack doesn't care if I wear a sports bra and booty shorts with my gut hanging out over the waistband. My squat rack doesn't judge me. My squat rack loves me and wants me to be happy. 

This is my squat rack. It needs a name. I think it's a girl, but I'm not sure.

Isn't it beautiful?

Oh! Oh! and it has safeties for benching, too!

Here I am attempting to arch. It's a work in progress.

We did invest in a sturdier, longer bench. The bench in this photo is now just for sitting on while I rest or change shoes. ALL THE GYM STUFF, Y'ALL.

As an aside? Whenever this song comes on while I'm squatting? I sing the lyric 
as "The rack I squat in? I bought it."


Back to the meet. There's another catch beyond the singlet. I registered as a 72kg (158#) lifter. Let's just say I don't weigh 72kg right now. My last known weight was 76.5kg (168.3#). I've hopped on the scale once or twice since my last "official" weight and in spite of a pretty drastic cut, my numbers have been all over the place. I should've started cutting in earnest months ago.

I make a lot of poor choices.

Cutting weight sucks balls. It is two months of uninspiring food, and if you know me, you know I like mealtime to be an event. Eating isn't an event these days, it's an obligation. I started out with terrible cravings, and now that has tapered off to a general dissatisfaction with everything I put in my mouth. I don't even want to eat anymore. One might think "Hey, starvation is probably great for cutting!" except I need to be light AND strong. Not eating doesn't make muscle. 

I have until 1/20 to make weight. I can't water cut because it's a 2 hour weigh in and dehydration is not my friend from a performance standpoint. So I actually have to lose 4.5kg. TEN POUNDS. In reality I should probably lose more like 12 pounds because I'm pretty sure we don't weigh in butt naked, and since weigh in is at noon it'll be more like curb weight vs. dry weight. 

Goddammit. If I'm not at 74kg when I weigh next I may just scrap the whole thing and tell the lady in charge of the meet that I need to move up to the 84kg class.

There goes my Wilks score.

On a positive note, I've been enjoying all the barbell work. I really have. So far I've maxed out my bench, dead, AND squat at more than I thought possible for me and it seems there's more in the tank. I can rep out squats at much heavier weights than at any time in the past. I don't even mind doing them, and I used to hate them. I've invested in knee sleeves and an Inzer lever belt that is a truly beautiful and alarming piece of equipment. I have a short torso. The distance between the bottom of my ribs and the top of my iliac crest is not a lot of real estate. In the past I've worn tapered belts to avoid compressing the bottom of my rib cage. The new Inzer belt isn't tapered.

It's, um, hefty. Every time I snap it shut I'm pretty sure
I'm going to pinch my belly flubber in it.

I love the way it feels when I'm in the act of lifting, but closing it hurts a little. I'm fairly certain there're going to be bruises along the base of my ribs. Sad thing is I think it should be a notch tighter...but my rib cage is in the way. Today I tried to push it down a bit because it was hurting my ribs and I couldn't because skeletal structure, y'all. 

Oh hey, it's also the holiday season. Have I mentioned cutting blows? Yeah, it blows more during the food-a-palooza that is this time of year. One thing that's on my side is the fact that I'm not allowed to have holidays at all, ever, so at least I'm not tempted by lovely meals with my family.

Health care careers FTW.

I'm on social media hiatus at the moment. I started by deactivating my Facebook and Instagram accounts for a week and removing the apps from my phone. The accounts are up again (chances are you're reading this linked from my FB page, since nobody actually goes to my blog website), but the apps aren't on my phone and they won't be until after the first of the year at least. Frankly, I can't handle all the holiday posts. Your family is lovely. Really, they are. But I can't deal with the constant stream of  smiling faces and holiday jollies.  For the fourth year in a row, I'm working the winter holidays, and because schedules hate us, so is my husband. My kids weren't home on Thanksgiving, and they won't be home on Christmas. They'll be with people who love them, but not with us. I'll spend close to 14 hours in the hospital on Christmas Day, working my own shift and covering for a co-worker. Hell, even the day we selected for our family gift exchange was fucked around by an order-in. I'm reachable, I'm not hiding in a hole or anything, but I'm full on Bah Humbuging it at the moment, so be warned.

A party you say? Oh, sorry, I work that day.
Yup. That day, too. Allllllll those days around the holiday.
That's my shift. 

I'll be keeping the obsidian shards of my cold, bitter heart out of your holiday celebrations. You're welcome. And for those who would say "You're atheist AF, why do you give a shit about Christmas at all?" I give you this (it's actually pretty interesting, debauchery for all!). 


I like debauchery and excess in all it's forms. Just keeping Yule sacred.

Looking through the archive of this blog was interesting today. Last year I had some goals. I actually hit most of them. There are three still outstanding, but there are still over 2 weeks left in the year and I have max days coming.

1. 100# snatch (current max 95#)
2. 200# squat (current max 180# set today with a max out this Friday and next Friday)
3. 250# dead (current max 235# and I got 255 off the floor two weeks ago)

My main goal for 2017 was to triumph over my flat-ass genes (or at least keep that shit from sliding down the backs of my legs). I don't know if I've reached the mountain top, but I'm on the way to the summit. I no longer fit under a barbell, and there's definitely more going on back there now than there was before.

And these aren't even flattering pants.

I guess my new goal for the New Year needs to be set, right? Well, I'll start with something that'll get me a t-shirt. A 600# total to earn my entry into the Ghrino Club. Current total: 535. Holy shit that sounds pathetic...but my bench has improved dramatically of late, squatting feels like a completely different ballgame now, and if I can find a decent pair of pee panties my deadlift is going up to 275# easy (I don't like to wet myself in front of strangers and that causes me to bail out of lifts when I feel the floodgates opening...so now you know that about me). That 535 is 30# higher than 6 weeks ago. Six weeks for a 30# overall improvement. That's pretty good, right? 600# is in the bag for 2018, bruised ribs and all.

So. I'm going to grind for the next 2 weeks, skip over Christmas, and head straight into the New Year.

New Year, same old me...

All 76.5kg of me. 
#sorrynotsorry
















2 comments:

  1. I was just thinking the other day: "Where's Amy?" I even checked to make sure we were still FB friends. I'm secure AF. Sorry the holidays aren't giving you much joy this year. My mom worked lots of Thanksgivings and Christmases because a) overtime pay wins when you're earning barely more than minimum wage and b) people needed to be able to buy more beer at a moment's notice on those days. See what I did there? Totally made this whole thing about me.

    Okay, how do I get out of here now?

    May the odds be ever in your favor! (?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, you may be in luck! This according to the IPF rulebook: "If a question exists regarding weight of
    undergarments, a re-weigh in the nude may be requested." so just wear heavy underwear!

    ReplyDelete