Friday, May 4, 2018

72kg and Holding or "Refeed Me, Seymour"

It's been about a month since my powerlifting meet, which means it's been about a month since the end of my cut. The lowest weight I hit was 70.7kg (155.5#) about 3 days before the meet when I was so paranoid about waking up above 72 that I wasn't eating a calorie out of place. Rigid AF. The morning of the meet I weighed in at 71.2kg in my granny panties and sports bra (sorry, coach). I have never been so relieved in my life.

This morning I woke up at 71.7kg, and I feel pretty fucking good about that.

Flex Friday, bitches.


After the meet I took a week off of counting macros and measuring everything. My only directive from Alex was "Don't eat like an asshole". And I think I did pretty well. My weight didn't change appreciably, and neither did my measurements. Miraculous.

My reverse diet started at the end of that "free" week. My macros have been increasing incrementally so we can see where my tipping point is. I don't need to be exactly 72kg every day of my life, but I kind of like where I'm at aesthetically and I'd like to stay within striking distance of competition weight. 72kg is a good place to sit for Strongman and Oly as well since 75kg is the top of my weight class for both. Competing without cutting? Sign me up. 

Now that I've been at this a few weeks and my food numbers are ticking up, it's time to add a *gulp* refeed. At the conclusion of my cut I was eating 145g of carbs, 43g of fat, and 120g of protein every day. That is some high protein starvation level shit. It's almost miraculous that I wasn't a husk of a human on those numbers. Now I'm at 175 carbs, 60 fat, and 135 protein.

135 protein. That's a lot of fucking protein.

In addition to these new numbers, every Friday I'll be doing a refeed. In simple terms, I'm carb loading. On Fridays I get 275g carbs. TWO HUNDRED AND SEVENTY FIVE GRAMS.

Image result for carb coma

So I whipped out MFFP and tried to figure out what the hell I was going to have to eat to hit these numbers. 

Image result for julia roberts does math
It was like a game. A delicious game.

So what did refeeding look like today? 

WELL. I woke up and got the news via email so I promptly made myself a lovely cup of coffee with half and half plus some delicious maple syrup.

Can't carb all day unless you start in the morning.

I went to hot yoga this morning, and I generally keep what I eat before yoga on the small side. Full belly is no good in the upside-down and there's always the chance of that. 

Just a little bit of something.

After yoga I came home and got my shit together for the day. I'd decided that pancakes sounded nice and carby. Turns out you also have to add a shitload of fruit to make the numbers work out right. I also included a bunch of egg whites because 135g protein is a lot of fucking protein.

Behold.

It took me quite a while to eat this. That's good though, because it kept me from feeling weird and overstuffed afterwards. Kodiak cakes made with milk and egg white, a banana, a cup of strawberries, and a third of a cup of maple syrup. 

I let that settle for a bit and headed downstairs to lift. I had some Oly shit to do today, but my outdoor platform was a bit wet so that was postponed and I worked on some power stuff instead. It was cold as fuck in the basement. Even in two layers with my sweaty-knees gear it was tooth chattering down there. It's the dampness. Makes the cold sink into your bones. And I'm old, so I feel that shit.

My standard coconut whey mixed with cold brew and creatine.

One downside to multiple layers and a lot of food?  Trying to close your lever belt without ralphing.

Hork

My program today was heavy triples. I managed to triple at 180, which is about 90% for me. It was painful, but I haven't done that in quite a while so it was also kind of exhilarating. Then I had to push press. With my power bar, because my Oly bar is in the garage. I scraped the shit out of the back of my neck doing Klokov presses a few days ago. That center knurling. Ouch.

Does push pressing make anyone else feel like they're going to puke? Every time I push press...actually it happens when I jerk, too now that I think about it. Something about it makes me gaggy. I think the nerves in my collarbones are wired wrong or something. Heart openers in yoga make me feel barfy, too. Yep. Miswired for sure.

Funny woman screaming surrounded by cables not able to make them work
Basically

After my basement session I showered. I even washed my hair, which is a big deal. My sons had a mother/son event this evening and I wanted to at least look clean, because my overall appearance has the whisper of white trashiness about it. 

I had some lunch.

Barley risotto. Deliciously carby.

Then I headed off to Costco. I bought a bunch of veg and a shitload of shrimp. Because 135g of protein. Have I mentioned that's a lot of protein? Because it's a lot of protein.

I did some studying when I got home and prepped the fruit and veg for the kids' dinners. For myself I made salmon, broccoli, and rice. A whole cup of rice. I even had enough fats left over to put some butter on that fluffy white shit.

Nom.

So how did I do hitting my numbers today? 

Check that out. I'm fucking impressed with myself.

Hot damn. 

I imagine it was a tiny bit easier because breakfast was more like brunch so each meal wasn't too far off the last one. It'll be interesting to see what refeeding on shift will be like. Along with this is a day each week without tracking at all. Estimating portions, minding my hunger level, and not getting my food scale out at all.

It's a little scary, but exciting too. Because maybe I can really do this. Maybe I can stop going on and off diets. Maybe I can eat like a reasonable person instead of an asshole. A girl can dream.

After dinner I walked the boys over to school for the mother/son deal. There was kickball and floor hockey. Moms vs. boys.  We lost at kickball, because little boys are sneaky little shits. Kicked their asses at floor hockey, though. I scored 3 goals. My sons and I may have alarmed some people...we were the only ones trash talking each other. Everyone else was being very supportive and enthusiastic. I may have shouted "You're mouth's writing checks your ass can't cash" and "I'm not above stiff arming a child" at my boys on a couple of occasions. I am an excellent mom. Nurturing AF.

I'm glad I wore black. I sweated straight through this shirt.

I was wearing jeans and slippers as shoes. Lesson learned. Next year I'm dressing for athletic business. I spent fully one hour running around a middle school gym. Hustle I've got. Also total disregard for the safety of children.

I'm going to say refeeding today was a success. I never felt like stuffed poultry, which I think means I did it right. My lifting session was aces, and I felt good all day. I'm not supposed to weigh myself the day after refeed, but I've weighed myself every damn day for the last 5 months so I probably will tomorrow from just force of habit. I'm also interested to see how I feel in the morning with the extra carbs on board. Power club is early to accommodate an event at the gym, and I wonder if all this glycogen will carry over to tomorrows lifts. I never really did much carb loading when I was a distance runner, so I honestly don't know. 

Only one way to find out. n=1 and all that.

Got 10 hours of sleep last night and I'm looking forward to another 10 tonight. A little powerlifting in the morning and some Oly in the evening. Sounds like a fantastic little Saturday to me. 

Image result for i pick things up and put them down
Word.















No comments:

Post a Comment