Monday, May 12, 2014

Blogging the Menu: Day I'm Too Lazy to Count

So today I'm setting off on a new adventure.  I'm going to make a run at a sub-2 half.  How am I going to do this you might ask?  I hired a running coach.  Well, more like an endurance coach.  I know him through CrossFit, and I know he's a hard-core endurance athlete.  I also know he just started a new business venture.  So I shot him a Facebook message and asked if he'd be willing to help a mediocre middle aged athlete go from lackadaisical half-asser to sub-2 half marathoner and disciplined CrossFitter.

Weirdly, he said okay.  So I get a custom plan based on my training/racing history, my goals, my work schedule, and my availability for training.  I also get advice from someone who gets the whole culty CF thing on how to do both successfully so that one kind of training doesn't compromise the other...and so I can do both without sucking or getting injured.

Today was the first day of my training plan and I already had to juggle it a bit.  I was supposed to do a 90 minute run today (warm-up, cool down, and intervals based on heart rate zones) and go to CF tomorrow.  Unfortunately, the hubs works tomorrow and that means that CF is up in the air depending on what the WOD is and what his shift is.  I knew I could go to the box today for sure, so I did.  I'll do my 90 minutes tomorrow.  No harm done.  I get my workouts a week at a time which is oddly exciting.  I can only see 7 days into the future, so I don't have any time to get anxious or overthink anything.

So in addition to looking at pictures of my boring ass food, now you'll have to read my droning rehashing of my training.  You lucky sons of bitches.

On to the menu!
Pre-WOD was a banana.  You know what that looks like.  And if you don't, then fuck you.
Breakfast was banana pancakes and bacon. I made the pancakes with 2 eggs to up the protein content and treated myself to some grass fed butter and maple syrup.  A big cup of black coffee made it a happy morning indeed.  I had a good workout this morning.  I did squat reps at 100lbs, which is the most I've ever used for a multi-round, multi-rep skill session.  That felt good.

Om nom nom nom.

I had an RxBar as a late morning snack.  I wasn't precisely hungry, but I had some shopping to do with the boys and I didn't want to go to Costco on an empty stomach.  That's the sort of thing that shitty sample eating and $500 Vitamix blender purchases are made of.

I bought about $300 worth of produce, cured meat, awesome cheese, and coffee (and sunscreen, and hair products, and lady-time specific paper products).  Costco has the most awesome fruit and veggies.  Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, bananas, brussels sprouts, broccoli, asparagus, french beans, snap peas, pineapple...they all landed in my cart.  I also got a giant bag of prunes (don't judge, that shit is nature's candy).  My one complaint?  Why the fuck do dried cherries need to be sweetened?!?!?!  Who do I have to kill to get some unsweetened dried cherries in this town?

After coming home in the rain, I unloaded everything and got the kids set up with leftovers.  Then I made myself a fantastic platter of cured meats, leftover antipasto salad, olives, manchego, and berries.  It was utterly decadent and wonderful.  I got a 2-pack of prosciutto and a bag of asparagus.  You see where I'm going with that.  
GET IN MAH BELLY!

The rain let up long enough to walk to get the girl child from school, which was good, because this dog is fucking apeshit when it rains.  She could care less about thunder and lightening, but trying to get her to pee outside in the rain is like trying to balance an elephant on a beachball.  It's HARD.  

Dinner tonight was simple roasted chicken and roasted broccoli.  Since I got so much beautiful produce, this week will be meat and veg week for dinners.  Steaks, roasts, burgers...all things that go great with crunchy greens.  I also got scallops at Costco, so there will be bacon wrapped awesome at some point as well.

Like diet food, only with olive oil.

This evening I'm enjoying a little pink wine and raspberries.  This moscato has been in the fridge for ages, so I figured it was as good a time as any to drink it.  I limited myself to a bowl of berries instead of eating the whole damn package.

Baby steps to self control.

I won an entry to a Spartan race from the Running to Remember raffle.  I've decided on the Miller Park event.  Spartan races are expensive as shit.  Seriously, more than a marathon for a 3 mile obstacle race.  I'll do the free one, because free, but I seriously doubt I'll be forking over $165 in the future for another.  I also won a copy of the book Spartan Up, which I am looking forward to reading.  I've decided that if there's an obstacle that requires jumping blindly into water I'm going to skip it.  If I fuck up my ankle or knee, my athletic career is over...why risk it?

Oh, if you want to check out my new running coach and his new business, you can find him on Facebook at B'n Fit or at www.nickburgraff.com His rate is reasonable, and he'll set you up with your goals and skills in mind!  

Here's to breaking down barriers!  Sub-2, I'm coming for you!






1 comment:

  1. Woo hoo! Sub 2! Wait... did you say which HM you are doing?! :)

    Congrats on winning the Spartan entry! I did that one last year. It was cool to be all over the stadium :)

    ReplyDelete