Friday, April 27, 2012

Feeling the Blahs

Ok runners, help me out.  Those of you who have trained long-do you reach a point where your "mojo" just vanishes?  Where the thought of going out for runs you previously enjoyed just makes you want to crawl back into bed?

Because I'm there.  My 16 on Saturday was sucky, my 5 miler on Tuesday was crappy (felt like I was going to lose my banana at mile 3 and shuffled home for 4 total), I skipped my mid-week long run on Wednesday, and flaked on my Thursday 5 miler.

Right now I'm mentally preparing to go out for 5 miles to make up for one of the flaked runs.  It's a lovely morning, I feel fine, I just don't want to run.

I have a 22 miler scheduled for Sunday.  I'm going to do it because I enjoy a challenge and it's a mental conditioning thing for the marathon.  Mostly, though, it's because I already arranged a babysitter.

It's not a fear thing...when I think about the marathon, I'm excited and a little nervous, but not afraid.  So is this normal?  Or am I going crazy?  Do most people at this point in training just feel like "Meh, so I skip a 10 miler.  It's only ten miles.  Childsplay (yawn)."

I think it's a good thing I registered for the Door County half on May 5th.  Otherwise my "taper" might amount to nothing more than a lot of napping.

Sigh.  I'm just going to finish my coffee, and then I'm heading out.  I am.  No, really.  For 5 miles.  Or something.

1 comment:

  1. I felt like that quite a bit towards the end of marathon training. I think it may have to do with the goal being so close and feeling like you have put so much work in, so what more do you really need to do?

    Not sure how to get out of that funk. Hopefully the race will help! Good luck on the 22!

    ReplyDelete