Thursday, December 31, 2015

Blogging 2015: Year in Review

I can't believe another year has gone by. If it weren't for the photostream on my phone I don't think I could remember anything that happened. What can I say? I had 3 kids and my brain is Swiss cheese.

I started this year with the lofty goal of running 2015 miles in 2015. I made around 1000 miles, which isn't too shabby. I'm not sorry I let that number go, as I ended up reaping major rewards by focusing on other areas of my fitness instead of just running, running, running all the time.

The year started out in Minneapolis with the Polar Dash 10K. It was a nice race, I'd do it again.

I fucking love this hat. I still wear it all the time.

This past winter was a freakishly cold one, but that didn't stop me from getting some outside miles.

Straight ninja, son.

Fantastic husband and I were able to get away on a cruise in February. Aside from some seasickness (for him, I don't get seasick) we had a great time. We got shitfaced on the beach, learned to surf, hiked the Pitons in St. Lucia, and swam naked in the ocean on St. Martin. It was pretty much awesome. We also got to trot out our matchy-match clothes for Valentine's Day.

So cute you could puke cartoon chipmunks.

I loved swimming naked in the ocean so much that I almost immediately booked a week in St. Martin for our 10th anniversary in May. Seven days in an apartment on the beach. Paddleboarding, hiking, kayaking, and skinny dipping in broad daylight. I can't wait.

In March we did the Point Bock Run, because we always do. I was a little slow, but I was on shift so that's not really a surprise. It was a nice day and we had fun. Might do this one again...even though I'm on shift this year, too.

I had a root beer, because alcohol + no sleep = coma.

I was on a yarn diet this year, which means I purchased no yarn and no tools. I joined a sock club at the end of 2014, so I got 6 skeins of yarn for that, but I knitted every single one of them into a pair of socks. I also made some epic shit with yarn I already had. I'm considering remaining on my diet through 2016 to knit up the remaining yarn in my stash. It's kind of fun to match projects with yarn. Like a scavenger hunt.

Why yes, I make my own socks.

I also finished this incredible shawl. It's a star chart of the Northern Hemisphere, with beads. It took almost 8 months to complete, but it is so beautiful. I'm as proud of this as I am of anything I've ever made.

The color is called TARDIS blue.

This year fantastic husband FINALLY agreed to join my cult...I mean CrossFit box. He's been resisting for 3 years, but finally caved. Mostly because the kids started doing CF kids and it's more cost effective to have a family membership. Whatever. 


He looks super happy, yeah?

We also went out to Utah in June to run Ragnar Wasatch Back. We only did one Ragnar this year because of some other planned racing in the fall, but it was pretty epic. Beautiful scenery and some of our favorite running people. Can't wait to see them again next October in Hawai'i!

Yay, medal!

I started growing out my hair this year in preparation for my 40th birthday hike in 2017. Sounds stupid, right? Well, my hair doesn't grow terribly fast and I want it good and long so I can tie it up in a knot and forget about it while we're walking across Scotland for a week. This was the first day I managed a ponytail. With like a million barrettes.

AHM SO ESSITED!

At the close of the school year, C managed to freakishly bruise his growth plate, so he was a tripod for a bit. Sucked for him to close out 4K that way, but he healed up just fine, no harm done.

He got pretty good on the crutches.

In May I locked down my diet and shed about 15 pounds. I've kept them off, and I'm proud of that. Here I am trying not to panic before heading to a wedding.

Fuck yeah, maxi skirt!

In July I had some sexy pictures taken. Ostensibly for my husband, but also for me. So I can look back when I'm old and decrepit and say "I used to be hot."

This one's my favorite. I love it.

I got back to a few things I used to do all the time this summer. Not as much as I would have liked, but I will, and this was a start.

Back on my motorcycle. Practicing in the parking lot.

Back in my kayak, on the East River.

In July I totaled my trusty Mazda.

Mooshed.

So I got another one exactly like the old one and we took the kids on vacation to the Wisconsin Dells.

Paul Bunyan.

In August we went out to Oregon to run Hood to Coast. It was an experience.

Rain, rain, and more rain.

When we got back it was time for these weirdos to GO TO SCHOOL FULL TIME! FUCK YEAH! FREEDOM!!

Seriously, GTFO of my house.

I ran a couple of half marathons in September (totally half assed) and then in October we went to Pennsylvania to run 4 races in 3 days. It was pretty awesome.

So cute you could punch a bunny.

I also participated in a 30 day yoga challenge in October. Doing yoga 5 times a week completely reshaped my upper body. I am stronger and infinitely more flexible than before, and the challenge was the impetus for me to continue doing yoga 4-5 days a week since.

Tree pose. This photo was the first time I realized how much smaller
I am than before. Even at 160#

I discovered a deep love of striped leggings.

Fuckin' handstands.

I also started wearing shorts for running for the first time EVER. I decided that I don't give a shit who sees my bruises, spider veins, and cellulite. If the weather is fine, I'm in my lulu shorts and I look great.

And tall socks. All the tall socks.

My hair has been growing out for damn near a year and it was making me so bored I wanted to chop it all off. But I can't do that because I need a goddamn ponytail 18 months from now. So instead I got a little more vivid.

Crayola red. Much less dull.

I realized finally that the reason my squats are so shitty is that my glutes are lazy. I hauled out my bar and started adding weighted hip thrusts to my routine. In my fabulous home gym. Sigh.

This is why we can't have nice things.

This November I finally got the tattoo I've been designing in my head for the past 2 years. Now that it's finally healed I'm planning what will go on my left quadriceps. I'm thinking either a Darwinian tree of life, or the chemical formulae for carbon, hydrogen, oxygen etc and the words "I am made of star stuff". We'll see.

Fuck yeah medicinal plants.

So this year has been up and down, but mostly up as most years are. I learned a lot about myself. I got better at a lot of things...and realized I could be better still. That's what 2016 will be about. Incremental self improvement. This photo is me closing out the year in the salt mine. Another year older, another year wiser, another year better. People mourn the loss of their youth, but I don't. I feel like I've never been in a better place. So many amazing things are coming in the next few years. Goals, travel, exciting new experiences. I'm looking forward to watching it unfold.

38 years old. 10pm. No filters.
Suck it, Father Time.

I hope 2015 was good to you, and when 2016 dawns that you're ready to receive it with an open mind and heart. Fuck yeah, shiny New Year!


No comments:

Post a Comment