Friday, January 1, 2016

Happy New Year, Bitches

Last night I poured myself a glass of wine and ordered the kids a pizza. Then I parked myself in the armchair with the intention of knitting and watching a few episodes of The Killing on Netflix.

But I sort of dozed off. Don't judge. At that point I'd been awake for about 26 hours.

So the kids went downstairs and the dog curled up in my lap and I vaguely watched TV and slipped in and out of consciousness. I wonder if that's what being really high is like. I wouldn't know, I've never been high. I ended up drinking about 67% of my glass of wine. I have no justification for that. 

At about 7:45pm I realized just how desperately tired I was. I called the kids upstairs and told them it was bedtime. The girl child said "It's not 8 o'clock!". I said "I didn't say it was 8 o'clock, I said it was bedtime now go upstairs and put your goddamn pajamas on." Because I am a great parent. They spent a huge amount of time playing outside yesterday, so I knew they'd be unconscious pretty rapidly. I barely managed to tuck them in and change into my sweats before collapsing into a sleep coma so deep I didn't so much as stir for eleven hours. Not until I heard a pitiful little voice from down the hall whining "Mommy? Can we wake up now?" at 7:10am. 

I did make them cinnamon/vanilla french toast for breakfast. That kind of makes up for stuffing them into bed and forcing them to "sleep in".

I've eaten a lot of miscellaneous bullshit over the last 2 weeks. Haphazard doesn't really begin to describe what I've put in my mouth. I didn't go totally crazy with Xmas treats, but I had many days where I didn't eat any actual meals...just sort of crammed random food items into my pie hole.  So today I decided I would eat meals. Here's breakfast.

Egg with spinach 'n shrooms, grapes, wasa toast thingy and coffee.
Also water, because I haven't been drinking enough.

I didn't drink soda for a period of about 3 years, but I started drinking Diet Coke again this summer. I'm not entirely sure why. I was cutting weight and I think I used the soda as a crutch for when I wanted to eat but wasn't really hungry. I went from having a can here and there to a full blown habit, drinking 2 or 3 a day. I realized last week how bad it's gotten and I'd even started having the headaches I used to get drinking that shit once again. I was drinking soda instead of water, and that's not good. So I quit soda...again. It'll suck for a week or so, but I'll get over it. That shit is poison. 

After breakfast, fantastic husband and I did a little closet cleaning and reorganizing. I have a lot of workout clothes. A lot. Way more than regular clothes. I'm fine with it.

Then I got ready to go for my annual New Year's Day run. I like going for a run on the first. It feels like getting the year off on the right foot. It's chilly here today (20s) so I wore pants and long sleeves. Even a hat. You have to make concessions to the weather. I didn't wear a watch, just picked a route that I knew and queued up some music. Guster, mostly. I love Guster. 

I had a little snack before I left. I can't run totally empty (or WOD or yoga for that matter). It's psychological, but it's a thing.

Peanut butter is everything.

Then I set out into softly falling snow.

"I'm off on a rocketship prepared for something new.
I'm off on a rocketship, ecstatic with the view."
-Guster "Rocketship"

When I hit the corner at Church Rd (pictured above) I was at about mile 5. This morning was beautiful. Bright snow, flakes falling, minimal wind...and the smell of woodsmoke. It could not have been more ideal, and it's about fucking time.  Twenties and snow might be my favorite running conditions, and if it's actually snowing during the run? I'm a happy, happy girl. The sun even peeked out for a bit at the end of my run.

In keeping with the "eat a meal, for chrissake" theme for today, lunch.

Salmon, broccoli, and squash.
And water, dammit.

Then I had a nice hot shower. I love a nice hot shower after a cold run. I didn't realize how sore the last few days of workouts made me until I'd completely cooled down from my run. Getting up out of a chair shouldn't make a person whimper, but I totally did. Ah well. Just means I put in some effort. Also that foam rolling tomorrow is going to suuuuuuuuck.

This afternoon was for knitting and watching mindless TV. In a sweatshirt dress and some awesome leggings, which are totally pants.

PANTS. Wanna fight about it?

Also drinking tea.

I already WENT the extra mile, bossyboots.

Fantastic husband trotted out a recipe from NomNom Paleo. We've had it before, but it's been a while. Kabob Koobideh with cauli rice. He's so ambitious. He even cleaned up after himself. I just ate it and ignored the dishes. 

Hmm. Need a garnish. I like my food colorful.
Still thought "Needs veg" like a dumbass.

Now I'm back in my chair with a can of unsweetened seltzer like a good child. I'll probably be in bed before 9pm again tonight, because that's how I roll.  Tomorrow we'll be dragging the kids to the box for the community WOD at 8:15 (you should come, it'll be "a hoot" which is code for "fucking awful"). I haven't been to a free WOD in ages, but I can sneak it in before 10am hot flow at Jenstar. If I'm going to sweat, might as well sweat. 

I might need to wear pigtails. Because I? Am whimsical as fuck.











No comments:

Post a Comment