Saturday, December 28, 2013

Blogging the Menu: Day 3

Today's eating is ending early.  Why?  I don't feel well.  I thought my neck/traps were just sore from wall climbs/forward rolls (which it is), but the swollen glands would seem to indicate that I may also have a cold.  Blah.  The achy stage of a cold is the worst, so I'm drinking a shitload of water and tea and trying to head this stupid thing off at the pass.

Since it's Saturday, I didn't have to hurry to get breakfast on the table.  That means I got to make something a little special.

 Paleo pumpkin spice pancakes with grassfed butter, a sprinkle of walnuts, and just a little real maple syrup.
And bacon. Of course.

I was kind of at a loss as to what to eat for lunch, so I pulled a chicken breast out of the fridge, grabbed the George Foreman and made faux-jitas.  
 The lettuce is really only there because it wasn't enough for a salad and I didn't know what to do with it.
The dressing is homemade mayo mixed with hot sauce.

After lunch I was tempted by a container of brownies on the counter.  Rum brownies that a neighbor brought over at Christmas.  I think they actually have a proof rating.  So instead of eating brownies I made these:
 Pumpkin chocolate chip muffins from PaleOMG.  
What can I say? I had some pumpkin left over from breakfast.

After putting the kids down for a non-nap I tried to rest a little.  It didn't go well.  The boys are like a herd of extremely heavy elephants banging around.  No one slept, including me.  Instead I had a cup of tea and a few Christmas cookies.  Not Paleo, but not processed either.  
 My MIL made these.  It's a recipe her mother used to make at Christmas.  It's a sandwich cookie, the center is made from dates.
They are just a little sweet, and very soft.  They pass the "Is it special?" test, and these are the last three.

I started feeling really cruddy this afternoon, so I made-you guessed it-more tea.  Lots more tea.

By dinner I was feeling worn out, and all I really wanted was something hot, I didn't care what.  So I heated up some chicken broth (free range, organic) and called it dinner.  My heart of hearts wants some saltines with butter to go along with it, but I'll pass.
Mmmm.  Dinner.

Last night I cut the shit out of my thumb on my spiral slicer.  I was cleaning the blade and not paying enough attention, clearly.  You know how much is sucks to crack eggs when your right thumb is out of commission?  A lot.  I've been through a lot of band-aids today.

So that's it.  I'm hoping that I'll feel better after a good night's sleep.  I'm certainly well hydrated.  I'm going to skip the treader tonight in hopes that I'll feel well enough to go out for 4 miles tomorrow.  Tomorrow is Packers/Bears and I have to be home to watch that for sure, plus the neighbor brought over some IPA that must be tried.  

2 hours until bedtime...

No comments:

Post a Comment