Monday, October 12, 2015

Blogging 2015: 805 down, 1210 to go (Lurong Day 29)

Yikes, almost 30 days into Lurong. Doesn't seem that long, somehow. Maybe that means I'm better at making good choices than I was a year ago. I meant to weigh myself this morning, but I forgot, and I guess it doesn't really matter. I did measure my waist. 30 inches on the dot. I have 3ish weeks to get that measurement below 30 and make it fucking stick this time. That might be a stupid goal, but my waist was 29" in high school and I thought I was a fucking cow. I see now how ridiculous that was, and I sort of want to hit that 29 so I can look in the mirror and tell my 17 year old self "See? Not a cow."

Yesterday I did a shitload of laundry and cleaned my room. Sounds silly for an adult to say that, but it had seriously reached hoarder proportions.

No cats were killed in the making of this mess.

It took me 2 hours to get it all cleaned up. It's like a whole new room now.

Daaaaang. Floorspace!

I then took the smalls to the pumpkin patch during the Packer game. Hashtag winning because there was zero traffic and the patch was sparsely populated. We did the corn maze, and pumpkin bowling. P discovered that ducks bite. You know, family fun. Got home in time to go over to the box for Broga, which was loud as shit with a boatload of kids running around. Whatever. They ran around for an hour and got tired out. After dinner and showers they fell asleep immediately fifteen whole minutes before their bedtime. It was like a Saturnalia miracle 2 months early.

Last night I slept with the windows open, which was pleasant from a temperature standpoint, but something woke me up at 2am and I couldn't get back to sleep for more than 30 minutes at a time for the rest of the night. Not cool. I went to bed early, so my net sleep was still okay, but I hate a broken night's sleep. Unless what wakes me up is sex. That's okay. I was sleeping alone last night, though, so I'm pretty sure that wasn't it.

Since I wasn't sleeping, I got up at 5:45 and let the dog out. I made myself some coffee and packed the kids lunches. They slept until 6:40! I had to wake them up! And then they complained because I woke them up so early. Welcome to my world, motherfuckers! I think the morning darkness is messing with their internal clocks, and I'm totally okay with it.

Breakfast this morning was a lazy one. Paleo "cereal" with a handful of dried cherries and a swirl of honey.

Believe it or not, it's pretty convincing.

I opted to hang out at home with fantastic husband this morning and go to a later workout at the box. I went to core flow yoga this morning and it was a proper ass kicking as usual. I feel as though sneezing might be painful tomorrow. Fun fact about me, I get nosebleeds a lot (or used to, it's been years since they were a serious problem) and I got a doozy right before yoga this morning. I did the whole class with half my nose packed full of tissue. And that? Is a sexy look. On the way to yoga I had an apple.

Honeycrisp perfection.

After yoga I had about 45 minutes to kill before the WOD, so I visited CVS for some stuff to tame my not-quite-long-enough-for-a-ponytail hair. CVS's are weird. The low shelves creep me out, and I don't like the diagonal aisle running from the front door to the pharmacy. It makes me feel like the world is tilted on it's axis. That's a tad melodramatic, but there it is. I had a protein shake for lunch because that shit is portable.

Stock photo.

The WOD was But I got a little chitchat from my friends in the 1130, so all was not lost. I sat on the floor for a few minutes after we were all finished up. When I got up I had sweated an assprint. Awesome. I'm pretty sure I smelled amazing. Got home in time to chat with fantastic husband before picking up the kids, then I washed the gross off and trekked back across town with the kids for CF kids. Why don't I just WOD while the kids are doing their thing? I don't want to. I don't want to monitor them while simultaneously trying to keep myself from either crying or peeing on the floor. Call me crazy. 

We threw some steaks and asparagus on the grill tonight, and fantastic husband made jicama faux-tato salad. I have to say, it was pretty convincing. I also enjoyed a delicious glass of Cabernet. That's right. CABERNET. Not Cab. Say the whole word people. Maybe even say Cabernet Sauvignon. I have faith in you. 

Get in mah belleh!

I'm still enjoying my wine, to be honest. 

Today's affirmation is:

I will celebrate all progress, no matter how small.

I have a tendency to overestimate possible progress and underestimate actual progress. I think we all do this to a degree. We think we can lose 20 pounds in a month, or learn a skill in a couple of days, and we get disappointed when it doesn't happen...then give up on the goal entirely. And while we do this, we ignore the small steps forward. Sometimes it's the small changes that make the biggest difference. When I walked onto a rugby pitch for the first time, I changed the course of my future. When I decided to channel my grief at losing our second pregnancy into running a half marathon, I changed my body and my perception of my own abilities. When I walked into a CrossFit box on the eve of my first marathon, I changed my definition of fitness and gained a new circle of friends. Every day can be progress. Every workout, every meal. Every decision I make that moves me forward instead of back. They are all worth celebrating. It is the culmination of small steps forward that achieves the loftiest goals. It's important, especially for someone like me with a penchant for all-or-nothing thinking, to realize how far we've come...and be excited for how far we can still go instead of dreading it. My 2015 in 2015 challenge is a prime example. Am I going to hit 2015 miles? No, certainly not. But I continue to move towards the goal, and celebrate the miles I have come, and the miles still to go.

My PRs in the gym, on the mat, and on the road may be small, but they are progress, and they are worth celebrating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment