Thursday, January 9, 2014

Blogging the Menu: Day 15

Is it Friday yet?  Seriously, this has been the longest week ever.  Probably because I haven't worked a full week since the first week of December (I had PTO to burn, get off me).  I have a full week this week, then next Friday I'm off to Savannah, GA for Clinical Nutrition Week.  I'm looking forward to lots of good information and practical tips in addition to a little time alone and in temps above zero (plus something like 25 CE credits toward my license and CNSC).  There's also a nifty review course that I'm hoping will jumpstart my efforts to study for the BPS nutrition boards.  I don't really need this certification for my job description, but if you're not learning?  You're stagnating.

Looking at my log, I ate a lot of raaaaandom shit today.  I'm not really sure why.  Probably because I'm sick and I just don't care enough.  I'm also realizing I need to eat more veg.  I do really well with this for a while and then I get a bad batch of lettuce or a yucky pepper and I'm put off greens for a week.

I did roll my ass out of bed at 4:30 to go to the gym.  I can't WOD (or run) on an empty stomach.  I never could.  Before I mostly eliminated grains (I admit I still indulge from time to time) I always ate oatmeal before a run.  It was filling and always *ahem* relieved me of my burdens (read: pretty much always triggered a dookie...a twosie...a healthy shit).  Since I don't eat oatmeal anymore and I have to be careful what I put in my gut before a WOD (burpees are worse if they turn into barfies).  Usually it's a banana, but I wasn't feeling a 'nana this morning.  I had mandarin oranges instead.  They sit pretty well.
Umm, sorry for the gratuitous 21 day sugar detox shot.  The mandarins 
aren't really in keeping with that.

I didn't feel like cooking, so I opted for slicing bananas instead.  Banana walnut chia pudding FTW.  This is so good.  No sweeteners and yet such a lovely flavor.

Like dessert for breakfast.  Don't mind as I do.

Then my husband gave me his meat.

That is what she said.

I grabbed an apple for my lunchbox since I hadn't just outright eaten one in a while.  This is a Jonagold and it was disappointing.  Good flavor, but no snap.  No crunch.  A what's-the-point apple.  I know it's not apple season and generally I don't eat many of them when they're not in season because the contrast is so stark.  This fall I ate my weight in SweeTangos.  You can go all "Hybrids are not Paleo!" and blabbity blab blab on me if you must.  SweeTangos might have been made by grafting a Honeycrisp to a Zestar in some greenhouse, but in my mind they made sweet sweet love on a moonlit hillside and gave birth to the most delicious apple on earth.  The apple by which all others must be judged.

and I'm judging you, you disappointing excuse of an apple

Lunch = leftover chili

 Mmmm, mmmm. Warm and filling.

I resorted to the tanning bed today.  I definitely have a head cold which makes me crabby anyway, but lack of sun had also made me stabby and that's a bad combo.  I fell asleep almost instantly and it was the first time I've been really warm in something like 2 weeks.  It probably won't cause skin cancer.  Eh, maybe it will, but stabbing someone would've landed me in prison and they'd never let me outside and I'd end up getting the chair for killing other inmates.  

Instead of indulging my sweet craving with chocolate today I had a prescription for dates. These things are so fucking delicious.  They are sweet and soft like candy caramels.  Also loaded with fiber and nutrients.  Versatile little buggers, too.  They can be made into almost anything.

Six bites of sweet, sweet indulgence

Last night I made Lemon Vanilla Meltaways from the 21 Day Sugar Detox book.  They're a good not-sweet treat and are pretty satisfying as they are almost entirely fat.  Next time?  More lemon.  

I always try for elegance with my baked goods-it's my exacting nature.
Kinda missed the mark here.

I got a text on the way home:  "You want bacon burgers?"  The answer to this has to be YES.  I also opted for cheese (it's real cheese, not cheez) and a little sriracha mayo (I make my own mayo).  Along with a pile of broccoli (because broccoli is medicine according to some folks) this was a nice filling meal to end my day.  

Spicy mayo is so great.  I gotta try it on eggs.

So there you go.  Up at 4:40am with a full day's work and a royal ass beating in the gym.  I'm probably going to be unconscious before 8:30pm, which is sad because the Daily Show is back and I am deeply in love with Jon Stewart.  Thank goodness for DVR.

I've already packed my lunch of Magic Pork and Vegetable Medicine for tomorrow.  The rest of it is up in the air at this point.  The only thing I know for sure is my ass is going out for a 5 miler on Sunday come hell or high water.  Even if I have to carry a box of motherfucking tissues.  





No comments:

Post a Comment