Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Blogging the Menu: Day 35

Is it seriously only Wednesday?  I'm staring down a few days solo with the rugrats as my husband gets his CE on at a conference.  Saturday is the Ice Bowl at CFGB and I'm volunteering this year.  I'm pretty excited, since I've never seen a live CrossFit competition, and this one will involve a lot of my friends.  I've been out of the gym for what seems like forever, even though it's been less than a week.  I just can't seem to make it happen this week.  Monday I overslept and the last two days it's been un-doable with our home schedule.  That feels like such a cop out, but it's true.  I'll be firing up the WODgenius tonight for a workout, and tomorrow is a treadmill tempo run.  I'm really hoping that Sunday will be halfway decent.  If I don't get outside for a run I'm going to freak out.

On to the menu!
For breakfast I was feeling something a little different, so I made banana pancakes and smothered them with ghee (no syrup).  This is such a simple recipe, but it always turns out flawlessly.  1 egg + 1 banana + 1/4c almond meal = pancakes for one.  Just increase by one unit for each person and you're good to go.
They're very light and fluffy, extra good fried in bacon fat.

I managed to spend so much time fucking around this morning that I didn't have time to pack a lunch.  Luckily for me, no one at work wanted what they had for lunch so we went out.  I had a buffalo burger (no bun) and some sweet potato fries.  Clearly I didn't take a picture.  Oh well.  I'm sure you can picture it.  Not much to a burger and fries.

Tonight was sloppy joe night.  We've made several versions of this over the past few years, but I love this one with red peppers in it.  It's really tasty.  Way better than that scary canned stuff.  Normally I just eat it with a fork or sometimes a piece of paleo bread, but I got the new 21 Day Sugar Detox cookbook and there was a recipe for biscuits/buns that I wanted to try.  I made the buns while my husband was frying up some thick cut sweet potato chips in lard.  It's actually possible to eat sloppy joe's nacho style with these puppies.  The bun was good.  It had a nice consistency, if a little eggy. Tomorrow I'm totally making an egg and bacon sandwich with these.  

Whole food can be fun!

It dawns on me that I didn't really eat much today.  I decided to indulge in a little treat after dinner, so I dished up some banana chia pudding.  It's so pretty.

Banana?  Banana.

On a completely unrelated note:  Why are none of my cable shows premiering until April or later? Game of Thrones?  April.  Outlander?  SUMMER?!?!  I started watching Black Sails, but I can't tell yet if that's going to fill the void.  My early impression is...no.  It's okay, but I'm not sure if I can bring myself to care about any of the characters.  I guess I'll just go back to reading the Earth's Children series and re-watch season 3 of GoT.

Tonight I get to wash the smalls.  Hurrah.  One day they will all be able to wash their own bodies and wipe their own asses.  That will be a great day.  It's amazing how being a parent changes your dreams.  I used to want to travel the world.  Now I'd just like to not have other people's poop on my hands (which would be a primary reason I didn't become a nurse-I really only end up talking about poop at work, not actually touching it).

And with that?  I'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment