Saturday, January 25, 2014

Blogging the Menu: Day 31

Whew!  Today was a long one.  It started with two little boys burrowing into my bed, a trip to the grocery store followed by a call in right after we got home (and got our boots off), a LOT of cooking and NO napping, and will hopefully finish uneventfully.

I figured today was as good a day as any to put up some multiple serving dishes in preparation for the coming week.  I don't cook in bulk very often, so I'm pretty proud that I got so many things done today.  Of course, cooking also means that shit starts hitting the proverbial fan as soon as I pick up a knife.  Does anyone else have children with a clear kitchen death wish?  Because I can't think of why else the "Stay out of the kitchen" rule gets violated almost immediately when I open the oven, fire up a burner, or pick up a really sharp knife.  It makes me insane.  I do a lot of shouting from the kitchen as well, because as soon as I am clearly occupied in a potentially dangerous activity every child decides to do something extremely naughty.  Leaping off the furniture, throwing heavy toys at the TV, standing on each other's heads (or kidney punching each other), that kind of thing.  It's a miracle I ever get anything done.

So what did I do today?

I started with a batch of waffles.  At this point there are still 4 in the waffle maker.  These are going into the freezer for mornings I am too lazy to fry eggs.  I cannot tell you how much I love these things.  They are so simple, and for not a lot of effort you get so much delicious.

The leaning tower of waffles.

I've mentioned my discovery of the "paleo pb&j" in a previous post.  This is a waffle AB&R.  Waffles, almond butter and raisins.  It. is. magic.  I used to love peanut butter and jelly.  Not one of those ingredients is acceptable in a paleo plan.  Now I have a substitute that's just as comforting.  Yay!


Also bacon.

I realized this morning that I was going to run out of eggs.  In my house that is cause for serious alarm, so I loaded up the kids and went to the grocery store for eggs and a small can of diced green chiles.  An odd combo, I'll grant you.  We got home and I made a batch of pizza sauce and nuked a couple of spaghetti squashes.  Then I got a page.  So back in the car we went to the office.  By the time we got home and I finished putting this together (and baked it for an hour), lunch was delayed until almost 1pm.  We are 11:30am lunch eaters around here (breakfast is usually at 6:30am), so the kids were freaking out when I served lunch.  Which they then refused to eat.  Kids are assholes.  When they are 21 and broke I'm going to text them pictures of what I'm eating so they can feel bad about eating canned beenie weenie.  I made this pizza casserole from PaleOMG and it was awesome.  I had two helpings, and I am not ashamed.


OMNOMNOMNOMNOM

While the demon spawn were "napping" I made a batch of banana chia pudding.  I've made this before with Goya coconut milk.  This time I used the Thai Kitchen to compare the result.  It's already fluffier looking than the last batch.  Breakfast for tomorrow is made.

Ball jars are fantastic.  So versatile.

Since I still had some date puree and coconut milk from the last coffee creamer escapade I decided to try Almond Joy creamer.  Dates, coconut milk, cocoa powder, and a little almond extract.  It's quite nice, and used up all my miscellaneous leftovers.

Takes the edge off a chocolate craving.

For dinner I made Fiesta Pork Chops from Well Fed 2.  It's a nice easy pan-fried recipe, which is good because it's freezing and windy and the grill would be ill advised.  We bought a whole pig (~300lbs) in August and this is the second-to-last pack of chops.  Thick cut and beautiful.  My favorite thing about this recipe?  The instruction to "salt and pepper the meat exuberantly".  What is not great about that?  So season exuberantly I did.  I can't believe we have to wait until the summer to get more awesome pork, but I'm pretty sure it's almost whole cow time (last one was ~700lbs), which is lucky because I can totally see the bottom of my giant chest freezer and that is NOT okay.

That'll do, pig, that'll do.

The finished product was pretty damn tasty.  I also made some brussels sprouts sauteed in liquid love.  That sounds dirty.  It's bacon grease, pervert.

Pork is the universe telling us that everything is going to be okay.

Oh, I almost forgot! I bought a bag of prunes the other day and had a few this afternoon for a sweet treat.  Dried fruit is nature's candy.  Indulge in her bounty, motherfuckers.

They're not just for constipated old people anymore.

Later I will consume this lovely bowl of lemon chia pudding.  I could kick myself for not getting a container of raspberries to go with it.  They positively screw you over this time of year on the price, but I think the combo of creamy lemon and sweet berries would have been worth $4.


Lemony.

I need to hit the treader for a little speedwork tonight and it's off to the box tomorrow.  The next few days are supposed to be arctic AGAIN.  I despair of ever being able to run outside again.  Hopefully the temps will improve a bit before the Seroogy's 5k on Saturday.  I do not want to run that bitch in sub-zero weather again this year.  It's hard to run a PR when you're wearing every piece of gear you own.

Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment