Thursday, January 16, 2014

Blogging the Menu: Day 22

Today went pretty well.  It's hard to prepare for out-of-office time in a job like mine because so much can change from day to day.  People come on and off service, labs come back and mess up your life, doctors decide to switch therapy, patient's get admitted and discharged and admitted again.  It can be a little chaotic.  It's a lot of "If this...then this".  Often preparing for a vacation is stressful enough to make you need another vacation!  Fortunately, things seemed to fall pretty nicely into place and I got a LOT of stuff done.  Tomorrow at 6am I'll be on my way to Savannah!

I'm sure the TSA will be highly amused by my odd little grocery bag of stuff.
I'll be adding some carrots, apples, and clementines, and prosciutto in the morning.

I did a little research, and there's a grocery store pretty close to my hotel (a Kroger) and if I'm willing to brave the public transit system there's another (a Whole Foods) just a little farther away.  My plan is to grab some hard cooked eggs and potentially some egg salad or other "lunchy" type item, maybe a couple of salads to stow in my room.  I have a CE dinner on Monday night that might be a concern, but I have to think that a dinner at a nutrition conference won't be too objectionable.

On to the menu!
I was going to have my last portion of chorizo stew today, but I figured I'd better save it for Friday morning so I have a hearty, low prep breakfast before heading to the airport.  

They got a little brown this morning.  Hard to make bacon, eggs, coconut latte, and 
do laundry and feed children all at once without something getting a 
little fucked up.

I don't know what it is about frothing my coffee and coconut milk that makes it so much better, but it just is.  A little drop of vanilla extract or almond extract before frothing is pretty damn awesome, too.

We went to HuHot for lunch today.  I always end up with a huge pile of beef and veggies with burn your face off sauce on it.  If my nose isn't running it is not hot enough.  Love this place.  I did indulge in a few chow mein noodles.  They're nostalgic.  My mom always made "Chop Suey" out of a can and it was such horrible shitty stuff that the only redeeming part of the meal was the chow mein noodles on top.  I would absolutely smother my shitty La Choy with those crunchy noodles and choke that plate of quasi-asian horror down as fast as possible.
They had snap peas today.  Love those things.

Dinner was odds and ends.  I fried up a sausage and heated up the leftover asparagus.  Nothing exciting, but it filled my belly.  I'm frantically doing laundry, looking at the forecast, and trying to figure out what the fuck to wear to 4 days of conferencing.  I know I should go business casual, but I have exactly one pair of dress pants that fits and they aren't travel friendly.  Blah.  Nice jeans, expensive boots, and sweaters is what it will be.  I don't really have anyone to impress.  I'm paying them to educate me, not critique my clothing choices.  Last year there were people dressed up like pharmaceutical reps in suits and heels and people wearing sweats.  I'm serious.  Sweats.  I won't go that far.

Boring but servicable. 

Oh.  I did indulge in a little dark chocolate.  As I've said before, I won't be tasting sugar for 90 days starting on Sunday, so I went for a little farewell.

Adieu, old friend.

Ok.  I'll be away from my computer and I am NOT paying the hotel for internet access, so I'll be taking pictures and will post a massive orgy-like blog upon my return.  Try not to miss me too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment