Friday, January 3, 2014

Blogging the Menu: Day 9

Yesterday was nacho day at work.  I did not eat them.  Today this was the scene in the common area:
Really?  It's the first week of the new year and THIS is what you bring in? 
Did you even make a resolution, bro?
 
Doughnuts are my kryptonite.  The smell of doughnuts, the site of doughnuts, the melt in your mouth awesomeness of doughnuts....wait, what was I talking about?  These actually didn't look all that great to me today, but that was in part because I had a sweet breakfast and brought snacks for myself.  If you'd caught me without a backup?  I would've totally mashed a doughnut into my face.  No question.


Standard pre-WOD fare.  Forgot to try the coconut oil in my coffee-tomorrow for sure!!
 
After a bout of poorly timed insomnia on Wednesday night, my sleep was interrupted by a 4 year old cougher with shit timing.  Every time I started to drift off to sleep he would start coughing.  Every. Time.  I got up twice, the husband got up twice, and when the alarm rang?  I got up again and drove my crabby ass across town in -14 degrees to CrossFit.  After the WOD I could barely work the zipper on my jacket.  I also did 25 extra burpees for forgetting my food journal last week.  I fucking hate burpees.  I would do damn near anything to avoid them. 


CHIA PUDDING!!!!
 
I went for an overnight prep breakfast today.  Chocolate coffee chia pudding from PaleOMG. Coffee, coconut milk, a little cocoa powder, sunbutter, and a little maple syrup combined with chia seeds and left to soak overnight = Creamy chocolatey breakfasty goodness.  It has a texture similar to tapioca and is loaded with all sorts of good things.  It looks weird, but it tastes sooooooo good.  PS, it's like 650 calories.  There goes you're 300 calorie goal, Jimmy Dean.  This kept me really full until lunch (something like 22g of fiber) but I did eat some carrots because I was bored.  See?

News flash.  Carrots do not cure boredom.
 
Lunch was just leftovers.  I cooked extra last night so I would have lunch today.  There was more broccoli initially.  I et it.  

Here, fishy fishy!!

I actually was kind of hungry this afternoon, so I had a few clementines. 

 
My husband was off today, so he made dinner.  A recipe from Well Fed that may have been responsible for my learning to love Paleo.  Moroccan meatballs.  Sweet Baby Jeebus these are amazing.  The meat poaches in the sauce for an hour and makes your house smell so delicious you could lick the walls.  Perched on a bed of cauliflower rice (which soaks up the sauce perfectly).  I always look at a plate of this and think "I should have some veg." Then I remember the meatballs are sitting on a cup and a half of cauliflower.  Duh.

It's kombucha, not wine.  I AM NOT AN ALCOHOLIC.
The leftovers are already calling to me.
 
During dinner prep I decided to try out a hard cooked egg trick.  Bake them in the oven, he said!  Ice bath them after, he said!  The peel practically falls off, he said!  Alton Brown, you lying bastard.

EASY PEEL MY AAAAASSSSSSS!!!
 
My husband also peeled one and had better luck.  Maybe it's just me.  I'm radioactive.  

Guess what, stupid egg.  YOU'RE GOING INTO MY BELLY.
 
On the upside, they were delicious.
 
One of my smalls is sick.  One other is on her way.  I chewed a handful of ibuprofen when I got home for the body aches and sore throat I seem to have.  Tomorrow I shall make a kettle of chicken soup.  From scratch.  It's going to be like a hundred below zero here over the next few days, sounds like soup weather to me!
 


1 comment:

  1. OMG, you crack me up. Are you sure your eggs are old enough? Go to Woodmans and buy the super omega 3 eggs. They don't sell a ton so they are not super fresh. They peel great and have tons of omega 3.

    ReplyDelete