Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Blogging the Menu: Day 7

Happy New Year!  I love a shiny new year.  Everything is possible on January 1.  I've always felt that way. Academically I know it's just an arbitrary date, but the world always looks a little brighter to me.

For the last few years I've gotten bundled up and gone for a run on New Year's Day.  Nothing too extravagant, usually just 3 or 4 miles.  This year I got to do it with two friends, which was fun!  I don't typically run with other people, but it sure made three freezing miles pass by extra quick.  It was a balmy 8 degrees with a bit of wind and sunny skies.  I have often crowed about my love of winter training.  I'm going to do it again:  I love winter training!!!!

Today I slept in until 7:30am. It was lovely.  Then I made a cup of coffee and crawled back into bed to watch the morning news and read a little.  That was also lovely.  Once I decided I was hungry enough to get up, I wandered downstairs and made a gigantic breakfast (which was really more like brunch since I didn't eat until almost 10am).

Banana walnut pancakes, bacon, melon, and coffee.  So wonderful.
 
If you're looking for a fast, filling breakfast, I would recommend these pancakes.  The formula is simple: 1 egg, 1 banana, 1/4 almond meal = pancakes.  It makes 4-6 depending on how big you make them.  Small is better, as they are hard to flip if they get too big.  I use a griddle so there's plenty of space, liberally greased with coconut oil and good and hot.  Scoop the batter onto the griddle and use your scoop to flatten them out a bit.  They do bubble like regular pancakes, but do not get as firm.  When it's time to flip, follow my husband's advice and "Commit to the flip".  You can't pansy ass it.  Get your spatula (use a thin one) under quickly and flippity flip, otherwise they come apart.  They still taste fine, but they look awful.   Sprinkle some walnuts on top and voila.  I put butter and a little maple on them, but they're good with just butter.  Unless you're my husband.  He thinks butter on pancakes is an abomination.  He's probably a communist.
 
Since I ate breakfast so late I wasn't really feeling lunch, so I had the last little pumpkin muffin.

Mmmmmmuffin!!
 
I realized around 2:30 as I was getting ready to pick up one fellow runner on the way to the other's house that I should probably eat something so I wouldn't pass out.

A trusty banana it is.

For dinner I decided to take my last day of kid free solitude and make Paleo Pad Thai (from Well Fed).  This is hands down my favorite, favorite thing.  It is meaty, veggie, nutty Nirvana.  It took an hour to prepare and was worth every solitary moment.  The sauce sings.  It is everything that is good and right in the world.  And I restrained myself in order to have enough leftovers for lunch tomorrow and a portion for my husband, who usually makes this for me.  What can I say?  I am an excellent wife.

There's that wine again.  Boozy McBoozerton. 
 
Confession time:  The glass of wine I poured last night?  I drank less than half of it.  That's right.  Less than 3oz of wine and I was sleeeeeeeepy.  I poured the remainder down the sink, which is such a huge party foul.  In my defense it wasn't good wine. 
 
In other exciting news, I registered the husband and myself for the Point Bock Run today!  Such a fun race, and it sells out quick!  I was poised over the keyboard at 11:58am and by 12:03pm we were registered.  It's a good thing, too, since they sold all 2000 registrations in THREE HOURS. 
 
I requested a size small T-shirt.  That might have been stupid as I have condor arms.  We shall see.
 
Have a Balls Out New Year!  Did you do anything special to welcome it?

No comments:

Post a Comment