Thursday, January 2, 2014

Blogging the Menu: Day 8

Well, I've been blogging this stuff for a week now.  Are you bored out of your skull yet?  This has actually been a great incentive for me to eat a more varied diet, along with encouraging me to make my food attractive vs. just functional.  There is nothing wrong with functional nutrition, but eating is one of the true joys of living (in my opinion) and there's no reason that whole, healthy food can't be delicious and visually appealing.

I have a slight issue regarding the New Year and advertising.  Every ad for a diet plan makes me want to punch the TV.  I've done Weight Watchers in the past, several times.  The first was my last year of college when I lost a shitload of weight (seriously, close to 65lbs) in 6 months before I graduated.  I kept that weight off for nearly 8 years, so I obviously learned something.  Having babies made me chubby, and I went back to WW with marginal success two other times.  The last time, post twins, I got pretty damn skinny (150ish lbs on a post-partum 5'10" frame), but I had learned to cheat it.  I learned how to eat nothing but chemical horseshit and still lose weight.  Not a great lesson.  I don't have an argument with the original concept of WW-you can eat well in appropriate portions and lose weight without the need to buy special food.  These days WW markets all sorts of chemical bullshit foods and it makes me sad.  That just teaches people to replace horrible processed food with equally horrible processed food that's lower in calories.  NutriSystem is worse.  I know whereof I speak, I tried that shit after my daughter was born.  The food was extremely chemical, and it gave me such awful gas that I thought I was going to die.  I lost 7lbs in a week.  Then I had to stop because I felt so terrible. 

All the ads for breakfast foods "under 300 calories!!!" make me confused.  Why is that the magic number?  I eat the bulk of my daily calories before noon.  So what?

I'm not immune to the weight loss desire.  Would I like to drop 10lbs?  Sure.  That's part of the reason I'm blogging all this crap, to keep me on the straight and narrow.  If I eat it, I have to photograph it first.  This has stopped me from eating random garbage several times over the last week.  If I can't bear to take a picture of it, the I probably shouldn't be eating it in the first place.  I also promised my box owner there would be no bullshit.  I am not lying about anything.  Not ever.  If I eat it, it goes in my log and it goes on the blog.  I can't get better by lying to myself.  Been there, justified that.

So what did I eat today?
Standard breakfast.  My husband cooked it today, which ruled.

I never really ate snap peas as a snack until Ragnar Ontario.  That was a good lesson, ladies of Van 2.

Crunchy, sweet and satisfying.
 
Pad Thai leftovers for lunch.  Even better the second day.  Now if only people would stop calling me while I'm eating and killing my Sunshine Sauce buzz.

 The chopsticks seem pretentious, but serve a purpose.  Eaten with a fork, this portion takes about
30 seconds to snarf.  With chopsticks I get a good 5-10 minutes of enjoyment.
 
Anyone who knows me well, knows I can be a bit of a candy hound.  The fact that this chocolate bar lasted three days (and of the 6 squares I only ate 5 myself) is pretty amazing.  It was fucking nacho day in the main break room.  Even though I had a delicious lunch, it's hard not to feel the pull of nachos.  These were my consolation prize.
 

Mmmmmmm....antioxidants.
 
I was casting around for what to eat tonight when I happened across a bag of haka loins in the freezer.  I got them at Costco, and it's good fish.  Meaty.  A little lemon and fresh thyme, seared in bacon fat and plopped on a plate with a pile of broccoli.  Works for me.  And I know you're supposed to drink white wine with fish.  I don't have any white wine that isn't chardonnay, and I hate chardonnay.  It smells like feet.

Seriously, what's with the wine, alchy?
 
I slept for shit last night, which is weird.  I haven't had a bout of insomnia since...well since my kids were born and I became so tired I once fell asleep running on the treadmill at work (that's a true story, bro).  I'm hoping for a better night's sleep tonight. 
 
Tomorrow's breakfast is soaking in the fridge and lunch is already ready already.  Winning.

3 comments:

  1. Every time I see a commerical for the bacon bowls I think of you Amy! You inspire me to do eat better which is really hard with this whole breastfeeding thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are you "soaking" for breakfast?

    ReplyDelete