Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Blogging the Menu: Days 48 and 49

It's a good thing I take pictures of my food (mostly) since I can't remember a damn thing from day to day.

Last night the husband and I rocketed down to Milwaukee for a show at the Riverside Theater.  We made it with 13 minutes to spare, and then the show started 15 minutes late.  Whores.

We went to see Pentatonix, which is an a capella group that was on The Sing Off season 3.  They do an all vocal (well, and a little cello) show with a lot of arrangements of popular songs plus original music.  They were awesome. The audience was probably 85% choir dorks and 15% their moms, but the group did a couple of songs as singalongs which is way more awesome in an audience full of people that can actually sing.  A theater full of people singing about 100 part harmony is a unique thing. Did I sing along?  You bet your ass I did.  I'm a huge choir dork and proud of it.

The group has a YouTube channel and is probably best known lately for a bunch of extremely original arrangements of Christmas classics.  The bass in this group, Avi Kaplan, has the kind of voice that you can feel in your chest.  I would be curious to know what his range is, since he not only hits looooooow bass notes but also sings baritone.

Overall, good stuff.  Watch their videos, buy the albums, see the show.  Totally worth $35.

The Riverside has a bar and you can drink in the theater.  Husband had two tallboys of Pabst.  I had...seltzer with lime.  It's weird, but plain seltzer with a little citrus is beginning to taste sweet to me.  Plain seltzer isn't sweet.  How the tastebuds change when you avoid sugar.

Festive.

Ok.  So the menu.

Tuesday I had a banana on the way to the gym, and when I got back I had time to remake a benedict for breakfast.  I wasn't sure how to get reheat the hollandaise without breaking it, then I had an idea.  I had eggs poaching in simmering water, so I plopped the container in (it floated nicely) and killed two birds with one proverbial stone.  Worked like a charm.

Looks like fucked up egg drop soup.

Instead of ham I went for bacon on my benedict as well as an additional egg.  One was kinda skimpy.

Like a goddamn Rolls Royce for your mouth.


Lunch was leftover meatloaf and a sweet potato that I forgot to photograph.  You'll have to take my word for it.  I hustled home after work and snarfed down some dinner.
Stuffed pepper.  I shoulda had two.

I was starving when we got home after the show, so I may have shoveled some almond butter into my face before bed.

This morning I got the kids up, medicated the one with the cold, and set them up with some waffles and strawberries.  I had waffles too.  These are the very last two of my toaster waffles.  I'm telling you, the batch is yooooouuuuuge and lasts forever.  I think I made this last batch 2 or 3 weeks ago.  I had a paleo PB&J and some bacon.  
Now I'm out of almond butter.  Sad.

I had a serving of banana pudding in the fridge that was getting elderly, so I finished that up at work.

I even got to be smug about my snack when a colleague admitted he was eating a Snickers 
and drinking a Mountain Dew.  

We had muchos meetings today, so lunch was late and I was starving.  Leftover peppers are good, even when you don't actually taste them.
They smelled nice.  I don't remember eating them.

I got the remainder of my homemade chicken soup out of the freezer for the kids, since one is under the weather.  They had soup and garlic toast and apples and milk.  I was at a total loss.  I didn't really want meatloaf and there was still some hollandaise...sooooooo
Jeebus, this stuff is so fucking great.  Luxurious is the word.
If food can be luxurious, this is.


Make this benedict.  It's fiddly as shit, but sweet baby dolphins it's amazing.  I still have two bacon and chive waffles left.  They might become an egg sandwich.

Tonight I finally got around to making my own granola bars, they're cooling in the garage as I write this. They certainly smell great.  I'll probably eat one or three tonight.

So there you have it.  Two days worth of pictures of what I ate.  Your life is now complete.










No comments:

Post a Comment