Thursday, February 20, 2014

Blogging the Menu: Day 57

I don't do well on no sleep.  Last night we had a needy boy who kept sleep-crying every hour or so.  He wasn't exactly asleep and he wasn't exactly awake, but he sure was crying.  I missed my workout because I didn't fall asleep until about 4:15 and my alarm was set to go off at 4:30.  Sigh.  I'm going tomorrow come hell or high water, but it's gonna be ugly if I don't sleep tonight!

Not getting enough sleep makes me crave sweets.  I wanted a donut something horrible this morning. Donuts are my diet kryptonite.  The smell of a fresh donut makes me salivate like Pavlov's fucking dog. I studiously avoid grocery stores in the morning so I don't have to smell donuts baking.  Some days I'm strong. "Fuck donuts!" I think to myself, feeling very virtuous with my cart full of broccoli.  Some days I am weak "Maybe just one donut...or four...or JESUS H CHRIST GIMME A DONUT!!" Since I never know what kind of day it's going to be, I just avoid donuts.  Bread? Meh.  But a donut is magic bread.

I need a donut pan.  I know it's not really the spirit of clean eating, but if I could make paleo donuts here and there that would be awesome.  Actually, scratch that.  If I could make donuts I would eat donuts and I don't need to go down that rabbit hole.

On to the menu!
I made banana chia pudding last night.  I love this stuff.  Every time I make it I tweak the cinnamon/vanilla ratio.  I think I got it exactly right this time-it's light and every so slightly sweet with a delightful cinnamon smell.  A total winner.

Almost better than a donut.

I took my lunch break for a Costco run, and bought some more broccoli (I will be forever buying that stuff) and brussels sprouts and dates and blackberries.  And coffee.  I drink a lot of coffee.  I also found a bag of trail mix that doesn't involve peanuts or grain.  The cranberries are sweetened, which is a shame, but they are easily picked out.

I had a handful for a snack.

Lunch was leftovers.  

Even better the second day.


Dinner was a new experiment from Well Fed 2.  There's a whole section in that book with different spice/meat combinations for burgers and meatballs.  We tried out the chorizo meatballs and they were pretty fucking great.  We used a beef/pork mixture (because that's what we have) instead of straight pork, and the spice mix was great.  The kids ate the shit out of them and they often balk at spicy food.  Add to that a big pile of broccoli and you have dinner.

Next batch of roasted broccoli will be balsamic roasted.


So I made the goal today.  I ate six cups of broccoli.  I am so full right now that my pants don't fit right. I'm going to drink some enzymes in the form of kombucha later and then probably do a lot of farting.  I hope tomorrow's WOD isn't squat heavy, and if it is I apologize in advance to whoever is behind me.  That reminds me, all my favorite workout clothes are dirty.  Meh.  I'll wash 'em tomorrow.  I'm supposed to do 9 miles this weekend, but I may scale that back to 7 or 8.  My first half isn't until the first weekend in May.  We shall see what the weather brings and where my motivation takes me.

Girl Scout cookie pick up is on Saturday.  Don't tell anyone I said this, but those things are made of pure poison.  Ain't no food in that food.  I know people love them.  I ate them for years, but never again. So make a cash donation to the Girl Scout at your door, and eat some broccoli instead.  Her troop will benefit more from the direct donation and your colon will thank you.  You know how much broccoli you can get for $3.50?  About 6 cups.

Oh, and don't eat donuts.  Donuts are terrible people.





No comments:

Post a Comment